Current Pan Africa ILGA board
The activists set up five regions in Africa – North, South, East, West, and Central – and elected two representatives from each region. Special attention was paid to the issue of gender parity and it was decided that each region should be represented by one male and one female representative if possible. The final seat on the board was reserved for a Transgender activist.
The following members were elected to the board of Pan Africa ILGA. Because of homophobia and violence perpetuated against LGBTI people in their home countries, several board members asked that their identities remain confidential.
Representing the Northern Region:
• Anonymous – Morocco
• Anonymous – Abu Nawas - Algeria
Representing the Central Region:
• Anonymous – Horizons - Rwanda
• Anonymous – Alternatives Cameroon – Cameroon
Representing the Eastern Region:
• Judith Wangu – Gay and Lesbian Coalition of Kenya - Kenya
• Samuel Ganafa – Spectrum Uganda Initiative - Uganda
Representing the Western Region:
• Rev. Rowland Jide Macaulay – House of Rainbow - Nigeria
• Anonymous – And Ligeey – Senegal
Representing the Southern Region:
• Linda Baumann – The Rainbow Project - Namibia
• Danilo da Silva – Lambda Mozambique - Mozambique
The conference thanked Dorothy Aken’ova and Juliet Victor Mukasa for their work as board members representing Africa on ILGA’s World Board eversince their election by an African caucus at the ILGA World Conference in Geneva (March 2006). They asked the newly elected interim board to choose two representatives amongst its members. Linda Baumann and Danilo da Silva were chosen for this position.
There was no transgender activist available to take the final seat on the board, so Liesl Theron, Director of the first African Transgender organization, Gender Dynamix, has agreed to serve in that role while she actively searches for a transgender activist to replace her.